Are you extremely self-confident, egocentric, charming and fearless? Do you lack empathy for your fellow humans? Are you employed in one of the following positions or professions?
Chief Executive Officer (CEO); Lawyer; Broadcast Media Professional; Salesperson; Surgeon; Journalist; Police Officer; Clergyperson; Chef; Civil Servant.
These are the top ten most likely jobs for people with psychopathic tendencies, according to the ‘Great British Good Psychopath Survey’, run by Kevin Dutton, a psychologist at Oxford University’s Department of Experimental Psychology.
You’ll never look at your vicar/priest/pastor in the same way again, nor that calm, smiling police office. Okay, we’ve known for years that business leaders, top chefs and TV presenters are psychos, but civil servants, surgeons and religious leaders?
The survey report points out that although people with psychopathic tendencies are drawn to high-paying power jobs such as CEO and lawyer, their difficult personalities may hold them back from succeeding. Their out of work life may prove problematic, as their ‘difficult’ personality traits will put them at odds with others.
Why not take the test below (as featured in the mirror.co.uk recently) to see where you are on the psychopath spectrum? Reporters have been having fun with this, recently declaring that Donald Trump has a higher score on the scale than Adolph Hitler! (how Hitler answered from beyond the grave is not disclosed).
Answer these eleven questions as honestly as you can, count up your points, and post a message below with your score:
For each question award the following points:
0 = Strongly disagree
1 = Disagree
2 = Agree
3= Strongly Agree
- I rarely plan ahead. I’m a spur-of-the-moment kind of person.
- Cheating on your partner is okay, as long as you don’t get caught.
- If something better comes along it’s okay to cancel a long-standing appointment.
- Seeing an animal injured or in pain doesn’t both me in the slightest.
- Driving fast cars, riding rollercoasters and skydiving appeal to me.
- It doesn’t matter to me if I have to step on other people to get what I want.
- I’m very persuasive. I have a talent for getting other people to do what I want.
- I’d be good in a dangerous job because I can make my mind up quickly.
- I find it easy to keep it together when others are cracking under pressure.
- If you’re able to con someone, that’s their problem. They deserve it.
- Most of the time when things go wrong it’s somebody else’s fault, not mine.
How did you rate? 0-10 points means you have few psychopathic tendencies, and are a warm, cuddly, empathetic person with a conscience and sense of social responsibility.
11-21 You have a conscience, but have a pragmatic streak and generally aren’t afraid to do your own dirty work. You’re neither a shrinking violet not a pushover.
22-31 Right or wrong isn’t as important as getting the job done. You know what you want and go for it, even if it means bending the rules and putting some noses out of joint. Nothing fazes you. You are decisive and self-confident.
32-33 You’re at the top of the spectrum, a total psycho.
How did I do? I came in the 11-21 category – I’m an empathetic pragmatist. I can get things done, but not by stepping on others…